How can I check if turner is working?

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
I have a pro series model 4200 that I got for free from a friend. I tried using it last year but never got good hatch rates out of it. I had better success turning by hand than I did with this incubator. Probably because I had to open it too much. The temperature is also difficult to nail down since I’m using a mercury thermometer to tell if it’s right and it isn’t easy to read through the small windows.

Anyway, I’m using it again because my other incubators are full. But I felt like the turner last year wasn’t working. I feel the same way again. Every time I look in the windows the tray is in the same position. Or at least it seems that way to my eye. How do I check if it’s working? Or is there some way to monitor it without watching it for hours physically? I thought about putting a camera in the room that records it but I don’t have one nor do I know how I would set it up. Any simpler ideas would be nice.
D7F53E83-65A7-4714-A3B9-DF67437B79E8.jpeg
3710F6FA-BFDA-4567-B4DE-5301080C0962.jpeg
62BA56F6-63A5-4C47-8328-8EC890C68D82.jpeg

You should hear something or see some change after checking every hour for 3 hours for sure. It sounds like it isn't working, maybe it never was, maybe it is just disconnected, I'm sure some can be disconnected but maybe that is why it was given away for free in the first place. Since you are used to turning by hand carry on doing that with this one, you might be able to move a tray (depends if the motor meant to move them will allow it) and they should all tilt together thus making an egg turn very fast.

So the tray does turn them somewhat. After checking this morning the trays are now flat. But I don’t know if it turns them right or enough. How would I turn them by hand in this? I’m used to turning by hand when they’re laying down. Not standing up.

So the tray does turn them somewhat. After checking this morning the trays are now flat. But I don’t know if it turns them right or enough. How would I turn them by hand in this? I’m used to turning by hand when they’re laying down. Not standing up.
Get a fat book... or several... stick the stack under the right edge of the incubator so that the incubator is at a 45 degree angle (more or less)

After a few hours move the stack of books to the left edge of the incubator.

Repeat.

Get a fat book... or several... stick the stack under the right edge of the incubator so that the incubator is at a 45 degree angle (more or less)

After a few hours move the stack of books to the left edge of the incubator.

Repeat.
Never would have thought of that. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom