How can I convince my husband to let me have more chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Lynette, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

I am not sure where on here to post this, but I would like some ideas on how I can convince my husband to let me get more chickens next spring. I know it is a ways off, but I thought I would work on him now. I have 13 already and he said that I have enough. I would like to get 12 more. He thinks I am going overboard and that 13 is enough. Then he said I could have 3 more and now he says no more. And if I can get him back to 3 which types of chickens should I get? I already had 12 different types picked out, but I guess I may have to narrow it down. I wanted the Porcelain Mille Fluer, Frizzle Cochin, Buff Brahma, Sultan, Blue Cochin, Blue and Buff Silkie, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Delaware, Easter Egg and Salmon Faverolle. I have never had any of these, so any advise would be great.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    We have black australorp and delawares and we really like their temperment. In fact DH said he would like to get an Australorp Rooster. Good luck

4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] I love it!!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Ditto..

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You need his permission? That's perhaps the real worry. [​IMG] Unless he is footing the bill in which case he may or may not have a point, depending upon whether you are maxing out on resources and time to care for the beings already on premises.

Wishes for a happy outcome for all [​IMG]
    JJ

7. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Quote:Ditto..

[​IMG]

Or, hint around at what HE would like then get some of those along with some of what you want. Worked with my BF. He wanted a long tailed breed, I wanted either Yokohamas or Phoenix. He wanted oriental so I got the Yokohamas for us.

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:Ouch! That's what my wife does. She asked me if she could get some more Favrolles, I agreed and she ordered 25 chicks. When they came in there was 125 (25 Favs and 100 hatchery special chicks). Then i got the puppy-dog eyes and "Honey, they were on sale" Oh well, I'm a push over.

[​IMG]

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Serve him a home raised chicken dinner that tastes 1000 times better than any store bought he ever tasted and he will be building you pen after pen after pen. [​IMG]

Steve

10. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

I am the one that takes care of the chickens. He has said he will think about letting me get the chickens. I think what helped is when I told him that he wouldn't have to build another coop for me. I will just buy one. I hope he won't get mad when he has to put it together though. Maybe I will sweeten the deal for him and buy him the louder pipes that he wants for his motorcycle. Bribery usually works well. [​IMG] I am afraid the chicken dinner is out. My chickens are going to die of old age. I have gotten very attached to them and they are treated like any other pet. My husband has already told me that they are spoiled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by