How can I cool off the water for the chickens in my yard?

AstralKoga

Chirping
Apr 27, 2021
Hawaii, United States
Being a person who lives in Hawaii, it can get HOT. I'm a bit worried for the birds in my yard since the water dish I have out, is outside all day. Does it matter what kind of water the chickens and birds would prefer? Like hot or cold? I noticed a few of them keeping their beaks open as if they were panting until they reached the water dish.

In the height of summer I freeze big rubber bowls ( I think they hold 3gallons) in my chest freezer and set them out about mid day, while adding ice blocks to the other water sources. By the time the other blocks have melted and the waters warming again, the frozen bowl is liquid and cool. All set in the shade of course.
Do you're birds have access to a shady tree they can dig dust bathing holes under? Seems to be my flocks favorite hot and humid past time.

Chickens prefer to drink cool water, but I forget the exact temperature range... One trick I use is to save a few 20 oz coke bottles - fill 2/3 up with water, then freeze - pop the frozen bottles into their pans of water as needed. Then when they melt, just clean them off & pop them back into the freezer to repeat the next day!

Back
Top Bottom