1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can i date my eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhen, Dec 5, 2008.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    just to be safe..i want to date my eggs....can i get a date stamp that is food safe?...or what can i mark the eggs with? How do you guys do it?...thanks, Wendy

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Wendy I use a plain old #2 pencil! Works great, I put the date on the big end and if I want to incubate I draw a line through the gathered date and write the incubation date on it. It really helps when you forget what day you put the dern eggs in the bator!!! [​IMG]

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks!..appreciate the help!..[​IMG]

4. Fudgie

I have heard people use sharpies but I also have heard that the ink can penetrate the shell and harm the chick,....I just figure good old lead should work fine...and you don't have the fear of your children or hubby taking off with your pencil!!! I actually have a golf pencil that is really small and easy to "Hide" near the bators! No one can look for anything around my house...if it doesn't bite hold on the way by, they cannot find it [​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:. . . not lead any more (those are the real olden days) - graphite

Steve

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:LOL..i know!..i cant keep a thing around here!....either a kid takes it and dosent put it back..or my cats carry it off to play with..or my dog eats it...[​IMG]...

7. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I don't think people should date eggs...what would be next stones? [​IMG] sometimes I just can't control myself [​IMG]

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:We use a crayon - we keep it in the carton so we don't have to hunt for it. We also have a tendancy to keep them in order: oldest on the top row starting from the left.

9. Fudgie

Stones have no personality! I would NEVER date stones! [​IMG]

debira a crayon would work good too. I put mine in the carton that way too, so I know what is oldest etc.

Also for incubation it is nice to know if something had a chance at some extra incubation time BEFORE they go in the bator. I watch that on the hatchings to see if it makes any diff.

10. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i have a marker on top the fridge and i just put the date on them, 6,7,8 etc since i either eat them or give them away if I have more than a dozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by