How can I encourage them to fly away in the winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stanui, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Stanui

Stanui Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    We're seriously considering buying a few Mallard ducklings to raise. We would love it if they were tame enough to be pets. But, we don't really have a good way to house them over the winter.

My plan is to raise them in a brooder until they are big and strong enough to be outside. I will gradually introduce them to being on their own in our back yard. We have a 1.5 acre natural (not man made) pond in our back yard.

There are already several Mallards out there. That is why I chose Mallards to buy. If we slowly introduce them to the outdoors and let them use the pond on their terms do you think they will fly away for us in the winter?

My ideal plan would be to have fun with them in the spring/summer months and then start all over again the next year.

I've researched their care pretty thoroughly, but I have found any information on how to encourage them to go out on their own after a few months! [​IMG]

2. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    when the pond freezes over they will move.... but in the spring they will come back..

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Have them follow you around everywhere.... then get one of those ultralights and teach them to fly then when the snow fly's you can fly south and they will have imprinted on you and they'll follow.

Sounds like a great idea for a movie doesn't it?

4. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    "Fly Away Home" LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVED IT!

5. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:This made me laugh!

6. Stanui

Stanui Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I haven't even seen the movie, but I can about imagine! [​IMG]

That would be WAY less work than wintering them here! [​IMG]

7. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    We did this once with Canadian geese and we ran them off many times but they would come back a few hours later or the next day. So we decided to try this while a wild flock was flying over running and screaming and flapping our arms. Our neighbors probaly worry about us now but that time they flew up and joined the other flock and we never seen them agian.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by