How can I get a sizzle??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CreamBruelle, Sep 26, 2016.

1. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    Ok so ATM I have 1 frizzled Cochin roo and a group of silkie hens together. I know that combination will create either all silkies, all curly Cochins or sizzles. But what I'm wondering is if I breed my silkie roo with a group of curly Cochin hens, will the outcome be the same?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

What you will get is mixed breeds. It takes many generations of hard work to create a real Sizzle, and the first generation is always just a whole bunch of mutts. Not that there's anything wrong with mutts, but that it what they'll be.

None of the genes involved in Sizzles are sex linked, so it doesn't matter which breed is the male and which is the female. Same result either way. (Excluding color genes).

From any cross of a Silkie X Frizzled Cochin, you will get 0% silkied offspring, as the Silkie-feathered trait is recessive. However, all will carry a copy. 50% of the hatch will be frizzled, and 50% will be flat (regular) feathered. All will have a small crest, small beard (if the Silkies were bearded), five toes (probably), medium dark skin, and well feathered legs. Combs will be all over the board, probably plenty of pea and rose-types going on.

3. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    Ok, thank you so much [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by