How can I get an outcast chicken to make friends?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flowerchicks, Aug 12, 2011.

1. flowerchicks

flowerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I have a 2 yr old d'uccle, Daisy, who was raised with a silkie, who turned into a roo. They were always together, day and night. The other chickens pretty much ignored her, but occasionally she got "bullied". When they were a year old, I got another silkie who turned out to be a roo (my luck), and he took over the "top roo" spot, downgrading the other roo and my d'uccle hen to the bottom of the "pecking order". Now, I have to rehome both my roosters (tomorrow) and I am concerned that Daisy will be left "friendless". I have been putting the roosters in boxes in the shed at night because of the crowing, and letting them out before I go to work. This morning, Daisy was flying around the coop to get away from the other hens, and when I let her rooster out of his box, she ran up to him and they went on about their business looking for food. I felt so bad knowing that he was going to be rehomed tomorrow [​IMG]

So, I was wondering if there is anyway I can get her and one of the other hens to bond. Will it just happen naturally when the roosters are gone? I just feel so bad, she is such a sweet hen and I hate the thought of her not having any other chicken(s) to hang out with.

2. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I think it may happen in time but certainly not overnight and perhaps not even within a few months. My three oldest pullets are like that. Each one came with its separate "flock." Either their original mates died or were rehomed/returned because they were roos. I had three additions to my original flock, so as you can see I only have one pullet from each of those additions. My marans pullet was always bullied especially by one of my Red Stars but now that that Red Star's "sister" died she is the only one left of my original flock. I think the Marans and the Red Star pullets are starting to bond but not completely.

The best word is "tolerate." It is definitely NOT the same bond you will see with original flockmates/hatchmates. My three Ameraucanas were hatched together and I think they are all pullets. They are so wonderful to each other and pile onto each other in a heap.

Good luck with your pullet, and I hope she'll be able to make a friend or two within your flock, but certainly give it plenty of time and if the battles are not very bad, let her fight those battles.

3. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    What are the chances of her bonding with new chicks? I have 3, 4 week old chicks that are still with their mommas, but I was thinking about taking one of those (when it is a bit older) and maybe keeping them together at night to see if they will bond, if she still hasn't made friends . The only only thing, is I wont know for a while if they are girls or boys, and I can't keep the roo's, and I don't want to take another friend from her.

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    I'd be afraid to leave her alone with the others so actively picking on her, I don't know how many you have, but if it were me, I'd try to determine who the lead aggressor hen is and relocate her to the garage for 2 or 3 days, watching the flock and she how they get along, and then reintroduce, it might help to remove more than one, this way you disrupt the 'pecking' order and reestablish it...Daisy might bond with someone else while things shift, or she may not, but might fit in better, you might try switching different birds around as well (if Daisy is the smallest? I'd try to make a place in the coop where she can hide and get away from too much pecking.
    The social order is so interesting to watch, I have a small chick who is definetly bonded with her clutch mate at 2 weeks, she is so petite and pretty and he is the homeliest chicken I've seen yet, he even has only one brown eyebrow, but, he's always right there whenever anything comes near..I think I'll name him Fred.

5. flowerchicks

Aug 18, 2009
    n. california
    I haven't noticed any real pecking, they mostly chase her away. I thought about bringing her inside at night, but she sits by herself on the roost and they all leave her alone. I think she is so used to being chased, she just runs whenever any of the other hens get too close. She is the smallest, except for my teeny tiny silkie hen who is one of the broody moms. They never got along, though. How long do you think it will take for her to adjust to not having Roovie around during the day?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by