How can I get bantams shipped?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Sep 7, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm planning for my spring chicks. All will be standard breeds. I'd really like a couple of silkies (OMG! I said the "S" word! [​IMG] ).
    I don't think it would be a good idea to get two, maybe three silkies shipped with a bunch of standard chicks, do you? Would the hatcheries even do that?

2. SimplyForties

SimplyForties Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Carroll County, Va
    My Pet Chicken, amongst others, will ship whatever assortment you want. There shouldn't be a problem shipping standards and banties together.

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Problem is, MPC doesn't have all the breeds I want. I'm thinking about getting some of my chicks from MPC (Eight, the min. they'll ship to my zip code) and the rest from Ideal.

4. JSGamefowl

JSGamefowl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    the bantams will get steped all on and most likely die if they are not to your house the next day, if shipped and it takes two days they wont make it, most places wont ship bantams and standards together though

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That's what I was thinking. [​IMG] I've seen day old silkie chicks and recall how big my brahma chicks were as day olds. There's no way a silkie stands a chance in a box full of those giants.
    Guess I'll take my chances with getting some silkies at Atwoods.

6. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Whenever I ordered, they'd separate the breeds...so that could be ok to order bantams and standards. I have ordered twice, and both times they were separated in the box. [​IMG]

7. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I guess you could call them and ask. The silkies are tiny little newborns. And most bantams are much more fragile than the standards (at least in my experience).

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Sleep on it, take two tylenols, maybe a couple qualudes, this halucination of wanting Silkies will pass. This way you can order MORE REAL chickens. [​IMG]

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Or you could just bring me all your silkies. They're illegal in Tennessee anyhow. Something about not being real chickens, I think. [​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sleep on it, take two tylenols, maybe a couple qualudes, this halucination of wanting Silkies will pass. This way you can order MORE REAL chickens. [​IMG]

But, but Marlin! I'm gonna order plenty of real chickens! I just need a couple silkies because I suspect that my DH is starting to think of me as sane and you knowwwwwwww we can't have that happen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by