1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how can i get chicks the natural way with out using an incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluebell0728, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bluebell0728

bluebell0728 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    help please! i have a rooster with my chickens i wanna learn how to get babies the old fashioned way

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    One of your hens has to go broody and decide to sit on eggs first. There is nothing you can go to provoke this, she will sit when she is ready.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    x2 If you do not currently have a breed that is often broody and you are serious about hatching you may want to buy a few very broody birds like cochin or silkies to increase your changes. Be aware that silkie do have some special care needs.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Need a broody chicken , go look up breeds or post them here and we can help you see if you have a bird that might go broody or what kind you can get that may go broody more for you .

5. bluebell0728

bluebell0728 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    i have 6 rhode I. reds 2 silverlaced winedots...n two aracauna

6. 6homesteaders

6homesteaders New Egg

Dec 25, 2012
    VA
    Our bantam cochin started sitting on the eggs (stealing everyone's eggs to sit on them). We decided to see what would happen, 2 hatched and 1 survived. We let her do all of the work, even after the chicks were born. They were in the coop with the rest of the birds and she would protect him from everyone else. The chick is a full size rooster now and still tries to get under her wings at night.

7. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

RIR's wont go broody but you Araucana's might.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by