How Can I Get Her To Sit?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Griffin Nest, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    This is highly irritating. I have 3 button quail. 2 females and one male. there are two new eggs every day, and in the past I've hatched them with an incubator.

The point is, my female Wild-type is the only one that attempts to sit on the eggs. But she only sits on them for 20 minutes, then gets off for 4 hours, then sits back on, then gets off for another 3 hours, then sits for 5 minutes, then leaves them there all night and sleeps in a different spot. Then in the morning she sits on them again for 30 minutes thinking that she's doing something. All of them are fertile. You have no idea how many eggs I've cracked open with 1-2 day old embryos inside, and all dead. I used to have an incubator but a wire broke and it doesn't work at ALL now. (I made a different incubator with a light bulb and dimmer and hatched some of their eggs after the mom got off and let them to rot. But that incubator had to be supervised 24/7!!! [​IMG] Now that school has started again, I HAVE to have an incubator that works off a good thermostat like my old one.)

I've gone through about 62... i repeat 62 fertile eggs that began to grow but died because the mother refuses to stay put. [​IMG] I've done everything. I've put dozens of plants in her aviary to hide, shavings for her to make a nest (and she DOES use them) and tissue boxes for nesting places. She doesn't use any of the hiding places. Instead she lays her eggs in the middle of everything, and then sits on them but gets scared of the other quail bugging her all the time. The only time she ever actually used the hiding place, she only sat for 3 days and then got off. I found them in time and hatched them myself. I NEVER go out there and bug them. only once a week to change their food and water. The way I see them is through a one-way window that is in front of the cage, so I can just view them from a room in my house without bugging them.

WHAT DO I DO TO MAKE HER SIIITT!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Get a silky or bantam cochin. You have a hard time getting them to stop sitting!

3. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    well for one its not good having 3 buttons together it should only be 2 one male one female. anyways i htink you fixed your own problem
    she lays her eggs in the middle of everything, and then sits on them but gets scared of the other quail bugging her all the time.

take the other quail OUT into another cage and get her a new mate of her own or atleast take the other quail out

4. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Though buttons are the hands down most broody species that anyone considers quail. It's always best to incubate eggs yourself. Buy or build yourself a good incubator. Even the worst incubator should return 50% hatches on fertile eggs. Sorry I can't help you with an animal, but an incubator will serve you well. It may be time to shell out some bucks for an incubator.

I wish you luck with the natural route, but I'm thinking a good incubator is way more reliable.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    A silkie or cochin wouldn't work in this case. Button quail eggs are about the size of a peanut M&M and are very easy to break.

If you have 3 buttons in the pen the hen will probably never set fully. Do you have a 'quiet' nest area for her? If she's just sitting out in the open, every little thing will make her leave the nest. You can leave the male with her because they often help set the eggs and raise the chicks (though you do need to watch and make sure he doesn't pick on the babies after they hatch), but you need to get another male for the 2nd female and put them in their own cage.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
  6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Welcome To Quail [​IMG]

7. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:i've tried making all sorts of hiding places but she never uses them

8. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Quote:i've tried doing that and i will never do it again. i used to have 4 quail. 2 males and 2 females. i used to have one cage for each pair. she was sitting on eggs, but the male kept bugging her so i took him out. then she got off anyways. when i put him back she didn't recognize him and pecked him pratically to death. i took hm out and healed his wounds, but he was so stressed that he died. now all 3 quails live together because she got lonely and i'm not allowed to buy another male because my parents wont let me. (which doesn't make sense because they let me hatch a bunch of eggs but im not allowed to get on more quail to finish the pair. [​IMG] )

9. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    awww im sorry that happend! i have a female button who keeps trying to sit on her eggs but gets so cuaght up in trying to chase the male away she gets off them i eprsonally dont want anymore buttons as i have 21 right now(3 mated pairs,1 female/female pair, 3 bachelor males waiting for 9 5 week old chicks to reach adulthood then be paird up whoo)

im wondering if you couldnt put a screen divider in? where she could see them and interact with them but they wouldnt bug her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by