how can i get her to trust me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lcw1995, Feb 25, 2012.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    i have this hen that is broody right now and just hatched out 3 chicks last nite
    well i kno its a mother hens instict to protect her eggs/babies but i was wondering if theyre would b a way for me to get her to trust me around her and not try and rip my hand off when i get near her
    shes even mean when she isnt broody
    for example if shes up on the roost and i go to pet her she pecks my hand pretty hard too
    so shes always had that mean streak in her
    but im wondering if there would be anyway for me to get her to trust me and not kill my hand lol
    there probably isnt but i guess its worth a shot to ask
    thanks
    cole

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Always have treats in the hand....

3. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    ive tried that before
    all she does is attak my hand she dont want anything to do with me

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Her top priority right now is the protection of her chicks. What she is doing is normal behavior for her. Leave her alone - that will cause her less stress and you won't get bitten.

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have games that can also be face floggers so close interaction required some experimentation. System that works best for me is to sit next to hen but not look at her. Try not to rile her. When chicks venture out from under her skirt, have an insect handy and gently toss it in front of chick. Do not look directly at chick. Repeat as needed.

Hand raised hens of same genetic background much easier to work with.

6. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    yeah, i forgot to mention as i just remembered this
    mother hen was raised by a hen herself and on more then 1 occasion she escaped her pen and my dad liked her so much and didnt want to loose her he chased her down and put her back in the pen. so, maybe that has something to do with it. maybe shes scared of people because of that..could that be a possibilty?
    whats interesting is, shes a nice hen if shes out in the yard or eating of whatever
    shes mean if shes on the nest of if shes on the roost..
    idk why that is but who knows lol
    like i said, its not a big deal if shes mean, maybe shell keep all her chicks alive..hopefully this mean streak she has will help her lol

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Hen raised in itself does not always lead to a cranky hen. If hen raised chicks are handled in a manner that does not rile hen, then when those chicks mature it will be like they were reared by hand. I will be using this technique with game hens from now on since getting flogged can also result in hen accidently harming chicks.

The chasing does not make handling later impossible but does not help your cause either.

For me, quickness to flog does mean more chicks. Most causes of chick mortality are influenced how well hen flogs, rather how good is she at finding food, keeping chicks warm and dry, and picking good places to sleep at night are likely more important.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  8. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    All breeds are different. I think you may have gotten a more aggressive breed. You can't usually get a chicken to like you any more after they've grown out of there "chick" stage. You can always try. I hand fed my chickens every day for a while. I would also catch grass hoppers and give them to them. (although my flock is mostly ducks, so my chickens didn't get much of them). Although my chicken still gets nervous when I hold her, she has gotten a lot more used to me over the last few months. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I only had two chickens to start with, and a dog got one of them, so she felt lonely. So keep trying, it's not impossible. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by