How can I get mama to take her chicks into the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jeremyhodges, Apr 16, 2017.

1. jeremyhodges

jeremyhodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    San Diego
    I received an order of four chicks from Meyer Hatchery a few days after my Wyandotte went broody. I put the chicks underneath her and she's been raising them like a champ for the last 2 weeks! About five days ago I let the family back in with my other 4 hens and everyone has been getting along great. The only issue I'm having is that the chicks don't go into the coop at night like everyone else. I don't know if it's that mom can't get the chicks to follow her up the ramp or what, but every evening I see her sitting in the corner of their run with the chicks underneath her and I have to pick up the family and move them into the coop. After I move them she settles on the floor of the coop and the chicks climb back under her wings. In the morning when I open the coop door they all climb down the ramp just fine. Any tips on getting them to move into the coop on their own?

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    How high is your ramp? I had this issue the last time I had a broody raise them. I ended up removing the ramp which wasn't that tall, and made little stairs instead with bricks. They seemed to figure that out better. When they got bigger, I went back to the ramp because the steps interfered with my door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by