How can I get my chickens to like me more

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Princessfarmer, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Princessfarmer

Princessfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Roy, washington
    Just looking for some tips and pointers to get my chickens to like me more. I love my chickens and I want tome to love me too.

2. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    Snacks! [​IMG]

3. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Bribery works pretty good. Carry treats and have them come to you to get them so they'll associate you with good stuff.

4. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Quote:Yep, they are suckers for some tasty snacks. [​IMG]

5. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Plus more human contact. Just Saturday I converted my tractor to a walk in, in just 2 days my girls are so much more receptive to my touch.

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Your girls aren't really going to love you until they start laying. Then they'll need the moral support and comfort you provide.

7. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Little pieces of cooked meat, hamburger, or fish will get them to totally rethink their relationship with you.

Also sitting on the ground - or at their level - instead of coming down from above.

8. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    my girls are pretty muchly ruled by their tummies - food bearer = friend

9. gdplum

gdplum Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2010
    Tulsa
    ...every day...without fail...my bride digs weeds and grass from our garden and flower beds....and takes them to the hens....they see her coming with the 5 gallon red bucket (they apparently know the contents) and they start crowding the doorway. When she enters the chicken yard, they follow her and try to jump onto the rim of the bucket...she scattered the weeds and grass...then turns the bucket upside down and sits there...with weeds and grass in her hands..holding her hands out for the hens to pick at the greenery. Our grandchildren come on weekends...and handle each and every hen...carry them around like dolls...
    If you try just a little, they will love you...treat them like you should treat your husband.

10. MOChickenz

MOChickenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Mine especially love me on saturdays. That's the day I clean out the fridge. FOOD!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by