How can i get my chickens to love and trust me im really a good person

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mario49, Dec 9, 2008.

1. mario49

mario49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    This is my problemo i have 40 sum hens that are divide 20-21 Barred rock and white leghorn hens and my barred rock comes running after me for attention and my Whites are running scared from me. They both came from Cackel Hatchery in MO. Any body got any ideas or suggestions?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Lots of treats usually win mine over. [​IMG]

3. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    yep...treats!!!

Everyone in my house thinks its great that all the chickens come running , flying and sqwauking(sp) when they see ME! Well, I know the truth...all the chickens are thinking is "hurry there she is....The Food Lady"
    I even have a few that fly up on my shoulder, they want to be closest to my face thinking they get food first.....and they do!!

~Tiff~

4. mario49

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    i ll try it to morrow it might work but not right away.

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I don't try to handle mine, but I sit in the cage for hours at a time and finally their curiosity wins them over and they approach me, and after a few weeks they get closer and start to get bolder and sit on my lap and I will slowly pet them at first it scares them then they get used to it. Almost all of mine will sit on my lap and be petted and they purr too. I think 16 outa the 18 I have sit on my lap and will let me pet them. I think the trick is you can't be pushy with them.

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:You are a good person, but birds need thier time.
    I have barred rock ,RIR,BO, SLW .
    each breed is diffrent, my BR comes all the time,RIR come and let me pet them too slw are always scared, but they still come to me but touching them is not allowed thogh.

I think the white leghorn are more production hens than anything else, but I don't like to misslead you because I am not the expert here I am just learning birds behaviors from folks on BYC.

Omran.

7. mario49

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    thanks everyone of you! but ill think ill just give em some tenderloving and some treats to go with it! thanks!

8. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    and not only is each breed different...each BIRD is different.

but Iknow if Ieven think to go sit very still on the patio and drink coffee or wine and enjoy my flock you better believe in a few min I will be looking like the crazy chicken lady with chickens perched all over me!

9. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    low light, red wine, soft music...... [​IMG]

IMO..light breeds like leghorns are just more "flighty" and higher energy, and not as trusting... just treats and TIME .. they might come around, they might not... maybe put a few of the calmer breeds in with them?? they could show them you are OK

10. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Yes, each breed and each bird are different, but the Leghorns tend to be flighty and skittish (as a breed charactoristic) and the brown eggs layers (generally) are more tameable and docile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by