How can I get my chickens to switch coops?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by willu707, Apr 4, 2012.

1. willu707

willu707 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Hello, my name is Will. My wife and i have been raising 6 chickens since last spring, and we couldn't be happier. This year we decided to add 4 more baby chicks to our group, so in anticipation I went out and got a larger chicken coop. What I really want to do is get the current 6 to move to the new coop, including their egg laying. Our current house only had room for the 6, and it had 2 egg nesting boxes. The 6 of them all use the same box, taking turns of course. How can I get them to start laying in the new coop? We have been putting them in the new house at night for the past 3 nights with no issues, but during the day they still go into their old house to lay. Should I move their old house to another part of the yard to try and get them to use the other? Thanks

2. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Could you possibly shut the access door to the old coop?

3. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    And then put feed in the new coop. [​IMG]

4. Junior1

Junior1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    We've just got our first 14 chickens. They are 9 months old and seem to be doing fine with the adjustment of moving. However, they too are sharing the same nesting box. Are there any other ways to stop this other than placing eggs or golf balls into the other nest?

5. willu707

willu707 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Yea, ours are the same way. New coop has four nesting boxes, but the 6 chickens still lay in the same box. Any tips to get them to claim their own?

6. Junior1

Junior1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2012
    So, we have tried spreading the eggs to no avail. We have had golf balls in their nests for the past three days. I guess they are golfing fans...they have moved all the balls out of the nest boxes and into a pile in the middle of the coop. Strange birds. Does anyone think shutting off this one nest box would be a good idea?

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I wouldn't worry about them all using one box, unless some of them are starting to lay outside a nest. They will figure it out themselves, in their own silly chickenway.

8. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    That is just hilarious!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by