How can I get my chicks to eat their chick starter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by equinehugger3, Apr 9, 2011.

1. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    3 of my chicks hatched last night, and they're all fluffed out and drinking normally, but they won't eat. I've put them right next to the food and tapped it with my finger, trying to make them think it was a hen pecking at the food, but they just ran up and snuggled against my hand... They're being perfectly normal chicks except that they won't eat... I'm a little worried about them. Is there anything else that usually works to get them to eat? Thanks!!!

2. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    They will eat as soon as they are hungry. If they just hatched yesterday, they don't need to eat yet. They are still living off the yolk that they absorbed in the egg.

Not sure I stated that right but anyway, they will eat soon.

3. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    They are OK for a couple days without eating.
    I also moisten the crumbles with water to make it mushy. They love it.
    If I get desperate I'll give crumbled hard boiled egg yolk or chopped scrambled eggs. When they won't eat anything else, that is a sure thing!

4. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    Thanks guys! I was thinking about adding water, because I have all bantams, so the food looked like a lot to swallow for them. Thanks again! [​IMG]

5. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    I make a mush out of the crumbles for my baby bantams too, easier for them to eat

6. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    If the crumbles look too big for them, I put some in a ziplock bag and roll them with the rolling pin to break them down in size. I also have put water or vit/electrolyte water in with the crumbles and they loved it.

7. equinehugger3

Apr 14, 2010
    I put some water in the food to make it mushy, but not runny, and they still wouldn't eat it. [​IMG] I think I will try to crush it. Thanks, all of you!

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I put Start 'N Grow in the blender and grind it up like cornmeal and spread it out all over paper towels for them to eat. Usually they eat the day they hatch and fill their crops up. I don't see any reason to make them hold out until they tackle the big crumbles if they will eat the ground up stuff right away.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd just wait. They're designed to not need to eat the first day or two. They'll eat when they need to.

10. kenh2010

kenh2010 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Idaho
    We did the same as on the spot except we used our coffee grinder and spread a lot of it on the papers in the brooder. They ate that for a day or two and when we were sure they were eating it well just sprinkled it around their feeder til they started eating out of it. They did great. Have fun! Ken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by