How can I get my muscovies to lay in the winter?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by freevillein, Dec 12, 2013.

1. freevillein

freevillein Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    You guys have been so awesome in helping me and answering my questions that I thought I'd lob another one at you. This is my first winter with ducks. I have muscovies in an unheated (but fairly snug) house with access to an open pen. I live in New York state, so it gets pretty cold, but they seem to be doing fine. The thing is, I'd like to get them to start laying again. I currently have a light that comes on from about 4 to 8:30pm. Will that work? Should I do different hours? Do I need a special light? Or does temperature have something to do with it? My chicken is still laying like normal, light or no light. I just have to get the egg before it freezes.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Muscovies in my experience have always been seasonal layers. I would guess that extending day light hours might get them to lay, but I am not sure. If extensive egg production is your goal, there are breeds that are better suited for that purpose.

3. freevillein

freevillein Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    I'm in the process of trying to get better egg breeds. But I do like my muscovies for their broodiness (I'm planning to use them to set everybody's eggs next year). I was just wondering for this winter, because my ducks kind of stopped laying while I still had outstanding orders for their eggs...

But if they're seasonal layers, perhaps I'm just out of luck... :/

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    As said their seasonal, i don't think a light will change that in the least, mine usually stop Oct and resume by Feb, to be perfectly honest i think birds need the rest, yes, i know there are higher production egg layers but that comes with trade-offs. You have to sort which matters most. In prime season i consider in my experience Muscovy to be of decent laying quality.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by