How can i get my new hen (Wyandotte) to be accustomed of me and let me hold her ?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by papileo, Oct 25, 2014.

1. papileo

papileo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Los Angeles, California
    [​IMG] I baerly have less than a week with her and I want to start making her feel safe around my presence and actually want to be with me and let me feed her any tips my fellow BYC users [​IMG]?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She is a beauty. How old is she? It's generally easier to make friends with chicks than older birds but the magic trick is the same - chickens love to eat. You might try throwing some treat for her, when she starts to look forward to that, you can throw them closer to you. If you sit down near her, eventually she will want to investigate you and see if you have more. Just be cool and calm, so she doesn't get frightened. It's best not to try and grab her but , let her approach you. Some chickens just aren't the lap or shoulder type but, can be friendly in other ways.

Is she the only chicken you have? If there were others, she would learn faster that you are not a predator. She will come around - patience and food are all you need. Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

I agree treats is the answer, find what she loves and cannot resist. Getting down to their level and enticing her to approach you should work.

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

X3 on the treats! Food is a wonderful bonding agent for chickens. And although it is much easier to get chicks to warm up to you, you can warm the hearts of the older birds too. Go sit down in the run with her. On the ground. Bring some goodies and sprinkle some all around you. Hold some in your hand. Talk quietly to her too. Do this every day for at least a 1/2 hour. Spend some quality time with her so she realizes you mean her no harm. Move slowly around her and don't try to pick her up for a while. This is scary for a new bird. Just let her warm up to you. Some birds really come around and others not as much. But you will definitely make an impact on her feelings toward you.

Enjoy this beautiful bird! I hope she comes around soon!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    X4 on treats.

That is a cute chicken!

1 person likes this.
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I would definitely start giving her treats. Some good treat choices include bread, sunflower seeds, scratch grains, mealworms, moistened chicken feed, leafy greens, etc. Try offering her a few treats in the palm of your hand. If she takes them, great. If not, sprinkle the treats on the ground and stand nearby as she eats. That will help get her accustomed to your presence.

Once you think she has gotten used to you being around, you can move on to physical touching. Give her a few treats, reach a hand out, and stroke her from neck to tail. Keep petting her as long as you want, or as long as she will stand still. If she seems fine with petting, you can proceed to gently holding her.

With most chickens, the taming process goes rather quickly. A few, though, will never become truly "tame." Good luck with your hen!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. You've received some good advice already! Good luck with her.

1 person likes this.
  9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Treats and time will work the trick. Let her come to you do not pursue her.

1 person likes this.
  10. hollys chooks

hollys chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, the way to a chicken's heart is definitely food. For some reason regular feed pellets become so much better when mixed with water so they are just mush. I give mine this as a treat, whenever any of them have a health problem and I want them to eat properly, when I want to give them medication. They eat the lot all at once (whereas when it is dry they eat a bit and come back later for more). I give it to them in the same enamel dish every time and I just have to pick the empty dish up and I am immediately surrounded by chickens.
    My absolute secret weapon that no chicken can resist is bacon rind cut into small pieces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by