How Can I Get My Seramas To Pose?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Six Chickies, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Six Chickies

Six Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I am going to try and show my first chickens this September - and i choose seramas... i lnow, right? My boy already stands pretty good without me doing anything, but how can I get him to stand nice and tall? My pullet has not as nice posture, but when her tail is up, she starts to look more typey. Anyone out there that shows Seramas have any tips on how to get them to straighten up for a judge?

2. Six Chickies

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hello? Anyone out there? I think I should start working with them more, and soon, but I don't know how or where to start...

3. SuburbSpurs

SuburbSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, Posing is the hardest part of showing. The first past is making them stand still. Putting them on the table and picking them up and returning them to the same spot whenever they move. You will have to do this every day, for at least 20 minutes to get them to practice. When they are standing still, tap the underside of their beak to make them hold there head up. I don't know what a Serama pose looks like. Every chickens is different so I recommend you look that up, there are usually pictures. It will probably include a held up head and an angled tail. I recommend you don't feed treats during this training because it distracts them.

- A novice 4-Her

4. Six Chickies

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks SuburbSpurs!! I know exactly what their pose is suppose to look like, but I had no idea of how to get them to stand up. I will try tapping them under the beak. No treats till they've got it - alright. I'll set up a table and then have music and stuff going off after they show me they can do it. Thanks for the advice!

5. SuburbSpurs

SuburbSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh and I forgot pushing or tapping under the chest helps them to stand upright too.

6. Six Chickies

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I'll try that too!

7. Six Chickies

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, he won first in AOV Classified, and his girlfriend placed second! I'm so proud of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by