How can I get my Silkie roos interested in non-Silkie hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Chat, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Does anyone else have this problem? I have 3 Silkie roos that share a coop and yard with 17 Cochin bantams hens and 7 Silkie hens, however they only hang around the Silkie hens and "do their duty" with only the Silkie hens. (I have checked the Cochin eggs for fertility and they are always negative) Granted all the Silkies were raised together (I hatched them from eggs from 4 different breeders) and I introduced them to my flock of Cochin bantam hens, but I would have thought that the boys would be in heaven with all the girls to choose from. Everybody gets along fine and the Silkies mingle with the Cochins for most of the day but drift off to their own group. I have heard that Silkies will mate with other breeds but I don't know how to get them interested in the others. I know that 3 roos to only 7 hens is not a good idea which is why I would love for them to include the Cochins. Any ideas would be great!

The Silkies are all around 6 1/2 months and the Cochins are 3 or more years old.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:send their butts to my house ! My 3 silkie boys will mate anything! In fact I have 2 penned up awaqy from all the girl because they were taking turns overmating them!!

3. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    This is my first group of silkies so I wasn't sure if they were picky about their ladies. Maybe they only like a fluffy topknot. I just don't understand why they aren't interested in the others, I have never had roos this picky before, so I don't know how to change their minds.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I dont know what to say excpet how old are they? My silkie roos stuck to all the silkies they were hatched out with for months-now that they are approaching the 7-8 month mark-they'll hit up anything!

5. Chicken Chat

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:The boys are around 6 1/2 months now. I am glad to hear that yours were also selective and now they aren't. It gives me hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by