How can I get rid of a cat?????????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by AngryChicken, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AngryChicken

AngryChicken New Egg

Nov 24, 2011
    What can you use to get rid of a cat that bothers your chickens???????????????

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I know I'm going to get bashed for this...but if it was after my chickens trying to kill them, I would use a gun...[​IMG] sorry. I love cats and have one, but I can't stand irresponsible owners.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I would feed the cat away from the chickens -- but I'm the sort who feeds everything that moves.

It depends, does it look like a nice cat or a wretched old feral thing that has a passel of scraggly wild kittens several times a year? If it's the former I'm try to find it a home... they can be very useful. If the latter I'd take it to a shelter or pound.

Good luck finding a solution.

Jenny

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:If it even has an owner. A lot of cats can just be feral, and if you didn't take them out would probably be euthanized eventually either way. I would probably use a gun if necessary, but typically cats aren't a big deal unless it is small chicks. Dogs work great for cat deterrents if you don't want to kill it.

Then there is the animal control option, or taking care of it and finding it a home.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  5. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    A live trap and a can of tuna. We just did this a few weeks ago for a possible stray/feral cat. Then we took it to the pound. It wasn't harming my chickens, though it knew it was there, but was going after our birds we feed. Before just shooting it, as I don't think a cat will go after a full grown hen, especially if you have a roo who is serious about protecting his ladies, trap it humanely.

Good luck and please, think about what your going to do before the SSS.

6. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    it's a cat. pick it up and move it.

7. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Quote:Never mind their claws and teeth and ninja abilities. It will be fine. [​IMG]

Live trap and SPCA is best.

We had a kitten who was constantly in the coop. (Meant to be a barn cat) She would scale the run and straight in the pop door. Drove the chickens crazy and the roo nearly flattened this bold kitty. After a few weeks of struggling to keep this cat out of the coop, I rehomed her.

8. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

Quote:Never mind their claws and teeth and ninja abilities. It will be fine. [​IMG]

Live trap and SPCA is best.

We had a kitten who was constantly in the coop. (Meant to be a barn cat) She would scale the run and straight in the pop door. Drove the chickens crazy and the roo nearly flattened this bold kitty. After a few weeks of struggling to keep this cat out of the coop, I rehomed her.

if you catch the cat in the live trap bring it to the a shelter, or if release it since most cats are smart that once they are caught they are keep away, but only give it one chance, if it gets caught again *makes gun shape with hand* go out into the woods with it and use the 25 cent way to take care of things

9. Shikoba

Shikoba Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2011
    I used a live trap to catch a stray that was after my hens, then had the humain society come get it.

10. slim1986

slim1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Highfill, Arkansas
    Shoot the dang cat!!!! Lol! No I'd go for the live trap if its feral. We've never had that problem though, our chickens or ducks deal with any cat to curious, so I'm not real sure?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by