how can i get rid of coyotes

bluedog

Songster
11 Years
Jan 31, 2008
East KY
how can i get rid of coyotes. i have lost about 35 or so ducks in the past 3 weeks. i have 7 left and now i have to lock them up at night or thay will get eat by coyotes. i have not seen the coyotes but i here them at night close to the house i need to get rid of them. if thay can not get a ez meal from my ducks i am afraid thay will go for my chickens turkeys peacocks that are pend up

Short term. Check your laws. Are firearms acceptable in your area? If yes, then simply shooting at the offendors will scare them off at least for short term. If it is legal to treat cocyotes as vermin, then shooting the coyote is also possible. If heart is not into killing, peppering them with a shotgun armed with bird shot. If shot properly, no serious harm but a lesson will be provided. Beef up pens. U

Long term. Bigger pond. Livestock guarding dog will take a few months to train up unless you can find one already imprinted on poultry. The game chicken guys seem to be pretty keen on livestock guarding dogs so confer with them.

Once they learn to kill livestock the only way you can deter them is to eliminate them. On the other hand, if they aren't bothering anything, leave them alone as they will discourage others of their species from coming in that could.

Quote:
X2!!! If you live in a rural area, a good high powered rifle with a scope will work wonders!

Bluedog may need a night scope and an open bathroom window.

lau.gif
I love how you think!

Quote:
I very much agree.

Although it might might be possible to train predator not to take livestock. Sheep can be trained not to consume grape vines by allowing the sheep to consume vines laced with something they can not smell or taste that realitively quickly make them sick for a short period of time. A few folks indicated a predator would kill a bird and return later to consume whatever was not consumed previously. Lacing the carcass with the chemical might give the predator a belly ache that stops future attacks.

Quote:
I very much agree.

Although it might might be possible to train predator not to take livestock. Sheep can be trained not to consume grape vines by allowing the sheep to consume vines laced with something they can not smell or taste that realitively quickly make them sick for a short period of time. A few folks indicated a predator would kill a bird and return later to consume whatever was not consumed previously. Lacing the carcass with the chemical might give the predator a belly ache that stops future attacks.

Lacing the coyote's belly with buckshot or a high powered rifle shell will give it a belly ache that it won't forget. I think that once they have found easy prey, they will be back until that prey source is gone.

Back
Top Bottom