How can I give my girls a boost in feather growth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EquestrianGirl, Oct 31, 2013.

1. EquestrianGirl

EquestrianGirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2013
    A few weeks ago, 5 out of my 6 girls (and even my rooster) started loosing their feathers. They weren't eating, and several were constantly hiding in the coop. I couldn't figure out what was going on! They had already molted this year, so I thought that maybe somthing was getting into the girl's run.

I finally figured it out. I went out one day, and caught my one good-looking chicken in the act of pulling out a clump of feathers of another hen. So, she's now in "solitary confinement." (I don't want to get rid of her, as she's one of my best layers.) The other girls are much happier now, and are back to eating. But they are still missing a ton of feathers! I'm even winterizing my coop early, because one of the girls was shivering a little the other evening.

I've started them on Poultry Boost (A pelleted vitamin and mineral supplement that you add to their feed), and Flock Fuel (A liquid that contains Omega 3 and several fatty acids that helps energy and feather growth).

Is there anything else I can do for my poor girls?

2. EquestrianGirl

Oct 27, 2013
    Thank you, and I'm currently handling the feather picking problem.

Any suggestions on giving my girls a boost in feather growth, though?

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Good nutrition and maybe a little extra protein when the feathers are actually growing in. Too much protein can be a bad thing though so I wouldn't over do it. As long as they are eating their feed and maybe getting a little extra protein the feathers will grow back in just fine.

4. EquestrianGirl

Oct 27, 2013
    Ok, thank you! I feel so bad for my girls right now! Because as you can see, they girls looking pretty rough:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I agree, a little protein boost would help put more new feathers on a little faster. You can do any of the following:

- Find a feed that includes it, like Purina's Game Bird feed line
    - Add in some cooked ground beef or raw trimmings from your local butcher shop if you can get them to give you some
    - Add in a small amount of high quality, non-poultry based cat food, such as Evo Herring and Salmon dry cat food: http://www.evopet.com/products/1431, which is about 50% protein
    - Add in some catfish feed pellets, which are generally about 35% protein.
    - Add some 30% Turkey starter mixed into your regular ration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by