how can I help keep my girls cool?

NewChcikenmommy!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Kingsland,Georgia
I have 2 water's and freeze them half way then when one is spent I trade it for the other, clean/refill/refreeze etc.
yet they stay hot it seems. I have provided a crazy amount of shade as well as taking fans out there to circulate air better on stale days. I've tried giving them cold fruits, yogurt and whatnot and they either wolf it down or look at me like I'm stupid for giving it to them..lol
I don't want them to over heat. It is cooling off at night now which is good but mid day it still gets up to high 80s..

They should be just fine with what you are doing. But if it is hot enough then freeze the water all of the way then it will unfreeze more slow and give them more time to drink cold water.
smile.png

Everything you're doing is great...I've done it all. Are they able to free range? Mine like to dust bathe and lay in the holes they dig.....really cools them down. Dogs do the same when it's hot.

Your humidity might make a difference. But here in dry AZ, I don't worry about them until it hits 95 or 100. Then I turn on their misters, swamp coolers and fans, give frozen fruit and vegie treats, no corn or scratch, keep their wading pool full and cleanish....ummm guess that is it.

M.sue :

Everything you're doing is great...I've done it all. Are they able to free range? Mine like to dust bathe and lay in the holes they dig.....really cools them down. Dogs do the same when it's hot.

Mine do to. They have sand near the misters and they love the damp sand.​

M.sue :

Yes they are too funny, they line up at the door and I let them out early morning (7-8:30) before the sun hits the area they are in then they go in all their own. I've sacrificed my beach umbrellas to give them even more shade and keep the water from melting as fast. then around 6pm they line up to come back out. They have the natural dirt they have a ton of holes in maybe I could do sand out there as well? My husband cuts the backyard and we fill their run with the grass and it seems to hold the cool moisture near the bottom longer. I have found many nests out in it lol​

I have Orpingtons (fluffy, not known for tolerating heat) and it's been over 100 here for most of the summer. Sounds like yours should be fine in the 80's with plenty of shade and water. Another way to cool them off is with a shallow "pool" - like fill a kids pool or even a clean oilpan with only about 2 inches of water. They can wade in it and cool off. Or run the hose over an area in the shade and make it nice and muddy. Or both, like I did. I really worried about them but they came through fine and now it's "only" in the mid to low 90's. heh.

I don't worry about them till it is over 100. Then i make sure they have LOTS of fresh cool water and that they can get out of the pen. That way they can find cool grass of dirt and lots of shade or breezy places.

Here is the set up thus far

They can get completely out of the shade under the coop & directly under the tree stays in the shade all day. LOL I'm trying! those 100 degree days we had a month ago really scared me! I didn't want to lose any of them
001.JPG

003.JPG

not even a fraction of our yard they cover in the morning before the sun fully warms things up

005.JPG

007.JPG

Back
Top Bottom