how can I help my lethargic baby chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by staynerfarm, Jul 30, 2014.

1. staynerfarm

staynerfarm New Egg

Jul 30, 2014
    Last night my baby chick (2.5 weeks) got trapped behind the food dish in the brooder and was stuck for a long time. I found her when I woke this morning and helped her out, but she is lethargic, and wont eat or drink. i have been force feeding her, but she has vomited a few times (overfeeding?) Ive been giving her drops of sugar water, raw egg yolk, and wet chicken feed mashed up. right now I have her in a scarf around my neck so I can make sure she is breathing and staying warm. What else could I do to help her?

2. DownARiver12

DownARiver12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    I'm not sure but I'd try not to force feed her anymore if she is throwing up. I'm not an expert but I think that chickens aren't capable of that or if they are it's very rare.

I had a hen once get caught for a long time and I just cleaned her up and kept her warm and she recovered. I think keeping her warm like under a properly set 99.5 degree heat lamp or however warm your chick should be at in its age is the best idea.

3. DownARiver12

DownARiver12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2014
    Any others who are more experienced?

4. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I agree with DownARiver12.keep her warm.and give a her a drop or two of sugar water.Good Luck.

5. staynerfarm

staynerfarm New Egg

Jul 30, 2014
    update: Still lethargic but her eyes open a little more now and she has moved across the brooder once. she pooped twice and one looked a little red. is it blood? internal bleeding?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you post a picture of a poop? Bloody poop can be a sign of coccidiosis, but occasionally they will have a little normal intestinal shed in the poop which can look orange-red. I would probably get some Corid in the house this evening, and you can start it if you feel she has coccidiosis. Keep the brooder temp at 80-85 degrees, and keep dipping her beak into electrolyte water, at least until you decide whether or not to start the Corid. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid(or 1 and 1/2 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5 days. Treat all birds at once, and after completion of meds, give at least 3 days of vitamins and probiotics.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by