How can i help stimulate my chick, get the little girls brain going?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hannah11, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Hannah11

Hannah11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Hey Everyone!

I have a 10 day old chick that the mother rejected after she hatched late so i decided to raise her as a pet, i have been reading all about training and clickers but i also want her to have lots of fun, i was thinking some toys could be great I'm on a tight budget but i can have a go at making things for her, so far i have made a little 'jungle gym' out of sticks that she seems to like climbing and playing with but i want to do more, she likes chasing balls of rolled up paper around too.
    Any creative ideas? i thought she mike like some sort of puzzle type things, I'm new to chicks so any ideas would help cheers!

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I'm not sure about toys but I have heard of people putting a little mirror in with single chicks so that they do not feel lonely.

For adult birds you can make pinata treat balls out of a head of lettuce. You might be about to do a little one for a chick.

I used mealworms to train a few chicks to come with called their names but that was about as exciting as it got.

3. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    You could use a small cat ball w/bell and put treats in it. Should be fun watching once she gets the hang of the game. I've seen them for sale at dollar stores.

4. Hannah11

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Yeah that sounds good! i was thinking of catching some bugs for her to chase but i should probably go to the store for mealworms, she seems to be picking up tones of my voice when i praise her it might be good to re-enforce that with them, hehe i was just about to go and pick a cabbage for her i think she would be very confused!

5. Hannah11

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Yeah thats a great idea! haha i bet she would love it! my partner thinks he can teach her to play soccer!!!!

6. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    LOL - Please do share video if she learns to play soccer. [​IMG]

7. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Trips outside in a secure area would be good. Let her get out and explore the world for a bit at a time. Just watch her so she doesn't get chilled or in trouble. They love to peck at grass, dirt and wait till she catches a bug! She would be happier with a friend or two her age. They seem to learn from each other also.

8. Hannah11

Oct 11, 2012
    Bluff, New Zealand
    Oh yeah i will (BYC sensation!), i take her out for 20 min trips every day around 3 or 4 times, she almost catches bugs! she doesn't stray far, i am putting in a large cat door (when she's old enough) so she can choose in or out, i don't want her confined in the house at all but hopefully she will come and go as she pleases, i would pinch one of her sisters but the mother is very grumpy and they are not tame at all. but i hope this will work, i guess for company she likes the cat....... I'm not worried our cat is scared of the chickens, she took a few peckings!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by