How can I identify the breed of a chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chuck maddox, Mar 12, 2015.

1. chuck maddox

chuck maddox Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    I am getting a variety of ornamental layers and want to know if I can identify the breed by the individual characteristics of the chick.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    it's very hard when you don't know what they are, but i look at the chicks of many different breeds and do my best to match them. It's kinda fun IMO to have surprise chickens!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You can identify quite a few breeds by what the chicks look like. (what comb type, leg/skin color, feathered legs, crests etc they have) Some breeds will look similar and you'll have to wait until the birds are older/feathered. If you know what breeds you potentially have in your mix, it makes it a lot easier to figure out what you could have. (Most hatcheries will have a list of what they might send.) I've found Feathersite really helpful with figuring out chicks, they have quite a few pictures of chicks of various breeds.
    http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens
    And of course don't forget to post on the What Breed/Gender forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions somebody on BYC usually can give you a good guess on what they are.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    First off, where are they coming from? Hatchery? Many hatchery sites have photos and verbal descriptions of what the chicks look like. Start there with a web search. Murray McMurray has a pretty good photo and description in their web catalog. Check the hatchery where they are coming from first. Enjoy!

5. chuck maddox

Feb 16, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for the links. Chicks are coming from Murray mcmurray

6. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i've had good luck with them...i've ordered from them before, and just a few days ago i got a new shipment of 40 chicks. most came in healthy, but 3 died in the first few days, which is not a bad loss :) They are pretty good :)

7. chuck maddox

Feb 16, 2015
    Louisville, KY
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by