1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can I introduce young ducks to older ones?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gilbert2, Oct 13, 2016.

1. gilbert2

gilbert2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

Dear Friends,
    If you've already answered my question somewhere else, please forgive me.
    I have 5 young ducks--1-drake and 4-hens. They are around two or three months old, I forget. But they are soon going to outgrow their temporary garage home.
    The older ducks, 2-drakes, are totally outdoor ducks, and have lived through a snowy winter quite well. There is a wooden duck house which they often use, and a wire cage, that they also sometimes use. Often, I leave their gate open, and let them wander during the day. They always come back to their penned home. There is about a 20-foot long runway for them, and some small areas have prairie grass growing, which is often used to sleep on.
    So now, the mechanics. Should I lock the babies in the outdoor area, and keep the adults locked out for a couple of days? I am really in the dark here. I know there will be some bad feelings at some time, and I would like to minimize the damage, if any.
    As always, I am relying on your vast experience to guide me.
    Thanks in advance,
    Gil

2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I wouldn't put the babies in the adults area, and lock out the adults, or else the adults will see them as taking over their territory and will resent it. You'll want to put the little ones where the adults can see them, but cannot get to them. Do you have a dog kennel or something similar? That way the little ones can see the big ones, but they can't interact for a week or so until they settle down and get used to each other? Also, when you do put them all together, make sure you have some small places that the little ones can go into and the big ones can't follow. That way, if they're getting harassed, they have a place to escape.

3. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Posted too soon- for example, you can get a box and cut a hole just big enough for the little ones to get into. I also leaned a wide board lengthwise against the wall of their house, making a triangular shaped space that the littles could run into and not be followed. As long as they can get away, you shouldn't have injuries. But first you want to make sure they get to know each other from a distance.

4. gilbert2

gilbert2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    After putting the younger ducks in the cage outside (where the older ones could look at them), I eventually just opened the cage door, and let them mix. Surprise! There were no bad incidents at all. And now, two days later, everybody feels like old friends.
    God bless these little souls, for what they bring to my life.
    And thanks to the one person who replied to my question.
    Gil

5. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Yay for everybody getting along! You never know with drakes. I wasn't sure how it would turn out for you, being that your older ducks were boys...I had all girls, and brought in boys later. (I thought I was starting out with a boy and a girl, but "he" ended up being a "she"). I had several drakes cause drama, so I'm always a little worried for posters like you, with several drakes, just because I hope you don't have my experience! Very glad that yours are nice drakes and being pals with your little ones.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by