how can i keep my chickens from roosting/pooping in there nestin boxes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jackrooster, Sep 27, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    I just new building/barn to put some hens in......well i got nice laying boxes and my chickens are pooping/roosting on them ...............how do i get them to stop.....it really making me mad

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Make the top of the nesting box sloped, so they can't sit on it.

3. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    Can you post a picture of your setup? Having a sloped lid helps a ton, as long as it is against a flat surface. Make sure your roosts are higher than your nesting boxes. Also, I had to train my pullets to be on the roost. The first few nights I had them on the feed box, which has a slanted lid, however, its not along a flat surface, so they are able to set up there. After the first four nights of picking them up and placing them on the roosts, they are always on the roosts and not on the feed box any longer. Hope you get it figured out... I know it can be frustrating, having poo where you don't really want it!!

4. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    the nesting boxes are up.... for example: a milk crate on the ground ........the roost on the side of it soo they poop on the hay.....ill post a pic tomomrw buut if that helps any for right now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by