How Can I Keep My Chicks Busy?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tongacat, Jun 18, 2011.

1. tongacat

tongacat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    so i built a chicks a chicken coop. i put dirt, and fresh grass clippings for them to peck. but they always seem like they want to get out of their caged up area. is there any other way to keep them entertained?

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    How old are they? Little chicks just need eahcother to entertain themselves. After 6 weeks, fully feathered, you can give them a section of watermelon, a stump, or drill some holes in a log and fill with peanut butter....

3. tongacat

tongacat Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:they are at the age where they are just beginning to molt. i don't feed them medicated food so they grow a bit slower

4. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    Call me crazy but I hang up toys for the girls to peck at from the large bird section of the grocery store. They also like the tomato sauce and soup cans I cleaned and removed both top and bottom from. They also like to push small cat toy balls off of the top of a former planter bowl. they also like the dented pie tin for a "drum". They don't play constantly, but they do now and then. (4 RIR pullets in a 10 ft x 10 ft covered kennel during the day while we are at work). I sometimes hang treats like vegies using a metal mesh bird feeder made foe suet I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by