How can i keep my coop doors closed when im in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blueseal, Dec 30, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have two double doors on my coop and i put a eye hook and latch on the inside. i latch it when im in the coop working feeding collecting eggs . but even with it latched the wind likes to blow it open some what could i use to keep it closed.

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    My DH put bungee straps on ours so that they would automatically close. Just put an eye bolt on the door and one inside by the door and hook the strap in there. [​IMG] I am not very good at explaining but maybe you get the picture.

3. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:yes i get it. i have a spring bungee i can try that.

4. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Quote:That's exactly what I did! (great minds think alike!). If you have double doors, you may need to run a stick through the eye hooks, or some kind of holder. Try "fixing" one of the doors to the floor if you don't need both (via slide bolt?)

5. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:That's exactly what I did! (great minds think alike!). If you have double doors, you may need to run a stick through the eye hooks, or some kind of holder. Try "fixing" one of the doors to the floor if you don't need both (via slide bolt?)

thanks i put a piece of wood at the top of one of the doors on the outside. like a door stop. so i will just need to go in and out the other door. i put a spring loaded bungee on the door i goin and out of. the old wind dont take it now. just got to rember its there or ill get wacked by the door [​IMG]

6. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    I'm having trouble visualizing this. You put a loop hook on the inside of the door, by the opening, and then another one on the opposite side frame of that door and then attach a bungee? I like that idea for the screen door that divides my coop and storage room, but I'm thinking it might break a hen's neck, since they sometimes try to run into the storage room.

7. dickies chics

dickies chics Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    Baldwinville MA
    bungy sounds great think i'll try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by