1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How can i keep the humidity up??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jwatts, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I am just about finished with my new DIY cabinet incu. I have been doing some dry runs to make sure everything is ok. I can keep it around 45-55% but i cant seem to get it higher for the hatching. I am using a pretty big tray on the bottom and i have drilled two 5/8" holes. If i close the holes i believe i can get higher humidity but the do need air. What does everyone else do? Thank you

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I add a hot wet sponge it made it higher

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Yes you could do that or use a wet cloth that has been soaked in hot water. That is what I use and my humidity gets up to 90 sometimes! It is literally raining in there! But you can squeeze water out and get about 70%! hope this helps ;)

4. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    But will it cool dawn and humidity lower? Do you have to keep opening the door or adding hot water every few hours or so?

5. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Adding sponges is the best idea. you can add as many as you want to obtain the humidity you want. While you are test running, make sure you can get the humidity to where it should be for hatching & them just make a mental note or write it down so you don't forget. Actually one 5/8 hole may be enough, but it would depend on the size of the bator, the number of eggs it will hold, the size of the heater & fan

6. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks bill, it is a wine fridge incu with a 250 watt heater. i believe its a sportsman incu replacement part. I have a machine fan that blows pretty good,and a wafer thermostat. it only seems to take about 3 min. to come back up to temp after i open the door. Been holding 100 deg. steady. I have a pc. of 1/2" foam in an alum pan in the bottom. Maybe i need a real sponge or a towel???

7. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    no, you will not need to replace it every hour. Maybe every day or so because the hot air will keep the rag hot. That is how I do it but I bet there is a better way. I have had very successful hatches with the way I do it.

8. Bill 101

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    I don't know what type of foam you have, but foam does not absorb water & will not act the same as a sponge. Maybe that is part of your problem. Take the foam out & see if your humidity comes up. The foam would act as a cover not allowing full evaporation. It depends on how big a piece of foam you have in there, but you may find that after it's removed your humidity is to high. You can always cover part of the pan to bring the humidity level down if it's to high. Just make sure that the pan is large enough to provide humidity at hatch time (lockdown). It's not the depth of the pan that is important, it's the square inches of evaporative surface. ie, a 6 x 6 pan with 1" of water is 36 Sq In & that doesn't increase if there is 2" of water in it. An 8 x 8" pan is 64 sq in, almost 2 times as much but only 2" wider - longer.

9. jwatts

Apr 16, 2011
    I have a 8"x12" pan in there with 1" of water and 5 of those kitchen yellow and green sponges in there. Its the biggest pan i can get in there and i can only get about 50-60% out of it. Would this be enough for hatching?

10. Bill 101

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    First off, I'd get another type of sponge, I know what you talking about. The sponge does not have to lay down, you can stand them on end or lean them against the sides. It's the same principal, more sq in of evaporative surface. 50-60% is enough for incubation, but I've always used 70% for hatching, so I'd make sure I could get there, if I needed to.
    What I failed to mention on my last post was that depth of water has an advantage for those that have to open their incubators to add water. The additional depth will allow you to go longer between fillings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by