How Can I Lower the Protein Level? - Purina Flock Raiser for Ducklings Starting Their 6th Week

Mad Mag

Chirping
Mar 6, 2022
Just switched my almost 6-week old ducklings from a brand nobody's heard of (Keystone Mills) to Purina Flock Raiser (non-medicated) and I was concerned about the protein requirements and requirements for other nutrients.

How can I lower the protein level and how can I ensure that my ducklings are getting the right nutrients (niacin and other stuff)? Thought I'd ask BEFORE I run into problems.

*I've also been putting Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte and Sav-A-Chick Probiotic in some of their water for the last couple of weeks

Last edited:
Protein is what the ducklings need to built body mass and grow feathers. In my opinion you should be trying to boost the protein at this stage. Sometimes I sprinkle nutritional yeast (50% protein) or fish meal (60% protein) on top of 30% protein gamebird starter crumbles. Ducklings also get a dusting of Niacin supplement powder.

Last edited:
Protein is what the ducklings need to built body mass and feathers. In my opinion you should be trying to boost the protein at this stage. Sometimes I sprinkle nutritional yeast (50% protein) or fish meal (60% protein) on top of 30% protein gamebird starter crumbles.
You may be onto something. I was reading several threads where people said that they had kept their ducks on 20% protein feed for their entire lives. I just want to avoid angel wing.

When I fed Purina flock raiser I started all my ducks on it from hatch on never had angel wing. Not saying it won't happen just that I never saw it in any of my ducks or geese.
Nutritional yeast is a good way to get the extra niacin they need. 1 Tab over each cup of feed you give them.

Protein is what the ducklings need to built body mass and grow feathers. In my opinion you should be trying to boost the protein at this stage. Sometimes I sprinkle nutritional yeast (50% protein) or fish meal (60% protein) on top of 30% protein gamebird starter crumbles. Ducklings also get a dusting of Niacin supplement powder.
Wow I’ve been under the impression the couldn’t ever eat even 28% protein- for years!

Just switched my almost 6-week old ducklings from a brand nobody's heard of (Keystone Mills) to Purina Flock Raiser (non-medicated) and I was concerned about the protein requirements and requirements for other nutrients.

How can I lower the protein level and how can I ensure that my ducklings are getting the right nutrients (niacin and other stuff)? Thought I'd ask BEFORE I run into problems.

*I've also been putting Sav-A-Chick Electrolyte and Sav-A-Chick Probiotic in some of their water for the last couple of weeks
Angel wing is poorly understood and can be caused by excess calories from ANY source NOT just protein. To ME there is a genetic factor at play.

Purina flock raiser worked well for all ducklings, ducks, chicks, and chickens here. I never switched, never diminished protein or other nutrients, and never supplemented niacin.

I did call the company and verify niacin content was appropriate for ducklings/ducks.. as it is not required by law to be listed on the guaranteed analysis tag.

The poster sharing about feeding excess protein.. may have good results.. but excess protein just makes for excess stinky poo and excess money out of the wallet. It's the amino acids in the protein that matter.. many gamebird feeds are just heavy laden with soy..

I also used 30% starter for my chicken chicks and my breeding program.. the high protein content REDUCED my hatch rates and has also been shown to reduce fertility in male chickens.. I cannot recommend thinking we somehow know more than the experts.. Guidelines are guidelines for a reason. Always use YOUR best judgement! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom