How can I make a candler for bantam eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aubreynoramarie, Feb 3, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I'm on day three and want to candle for day seven. Any ideas on how to make a candler for bantam eggs? Also any candling advice would be apprciated. Thanks!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I just use a mini mag lite in a very dark room. That size is perfect for bantam eggs.

3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Oh that easy huh?! Sweet! Just put the flashlight up to the eggs then huh? The instructions on my bator say something about a toilet paper tube. I was confused about it

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Nah, toilet paper tubes are too big for most bantam eggs, they'll fall through. Just hold the light up to the air cell. [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yup, I use a flashlight. Cup my hand around the light and set the egg on top. Easy peasy

[​IMG] for veins and a moving chick for you.

6. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Thanks guys! I actually dropped one yestarday and after getting over the shock I crake it open and there wasn't a thing going on in there, but it was only day two [​IMG] cmon veins!! Wait, what day do those show up?

7. Cloverleaf Farm

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I can see veins pretty good by day 4, as long as they are light brown eggs, not blue or dark brown. BUT I know what to look for. I usually try not to candle until day 10 to be really sure.

8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Cool! Sounds good!

9. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I usually candle on Day 10 too because there is not too much guessing at that time. I had to lockdown one of my incubators and I just went ahead and candled some Bantam eggs that were on Day 5. I could clearly see the veins and the black dot that looks like a grain of rice. Also, could see that 2 were clear and NO development at all.

Just make sure your room is DARK. Makes it easier.

Nancy

10. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    You could take a wire Easter Egg dye dipper (not the EE chicken; the springtime holiday! [​IMG]) and squish the opening smaller to fit a bantam sized egg. Or maybe a plastic bubble soap blower single hoop (the kind that comes in a small jar of kid's bubble blowing soap) would be small enough to hold a really small egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by