How can I Make My hen go Broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WhiteCochinLover, Jan 20, 2012.

1. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    I am dying for some babies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does anyone know how to Make your hen go broody I haev done a couple hatches but the hens have just gone broody .....

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

i know my mother used to put ceramic (or wooden) eggs in the nest every time she would remove the fresh eggs.. seems her hens would go broody once there were enough eggs in the nest.. once they started to set she would replace the fake eggs with real ones..

not saying it will work for everyone.. but it sure worked for her

3 people like this.
  3. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Patience!! I have none!!!!! Above poster is right!! I've done it that way numerous times. Always works. In time...... Good Luck!!

1 person likes this.
  4. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    This is a good way to have hens to broody, but the best way to hatch out chicks is with an incubator. They are much more reliable. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    From my experience a pullet/hen will go broody when she is good and ready. Some breeds are always broody and some are not. I put golf balls in their nest boxes. It didn't make any difference so now I just use my incubator and hatch when I want to.

6. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    the trick to getting a hen to go broody is not wanting them too... When you feed today go out and have a talk with the ladies..... tell them it is winter and you don't want baby chicks running around.

every hen/pullet will be sitting tomorrow

6 people like this.
  7. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ

I can let you borrow mine! i've been trying to snap her out of it ! She wont budge .

8. WhiteCochinLover

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland

OH YES THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

9. WhiteCochinLover

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland

haha [​IMG]

10. WhiteCochinLover

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    What if I just let the eggs bulid up themselves.... but its like 50-30 degrees here if an egg sits for a week would it still be able to grow...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by