How can I make smaller eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Jan 3, 2013.

1. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    OK, this is mostly hyperbole, but I'm thinking I may have to sell some of my RSL because their eggs are so stinkin' big. I have at least six birds that are laying off the scale super jumbo eggs (not double yolkers) about five times a week. These eggs are so large they won't fit in a carton, and can't be sold. And with so many hens laying so many super jumbo eggs, and with us also having the cracks and check and smalls to eat, I can't keep up with them and I have piles of them in my fridge. I sent 18 home with my neighbor yesterday.

I know, weird frustration to have. But I can't even donate them to the food pantry, because they're too big to put in cartons!

Thanks for listening to me rant, chicken peeps. [​IMG]

2. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

I saw on here where someone took their extra eggs and broke them into a glass cake pan, stirred them just a little to break the yolk but not 'scrambled' and then baked them till cooked through. They then cut it into squares and froze them in zippy bags to use to feed back to the flock as a supplement or treat when it was needed during times of stress or molt or whatever.... could you do that so they didn't go to waste? Seems a shame to have to sell of mature layers.

I would think it would make a nice treat during the cold weather...

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I have a lady that wants my super jumbos! I bring them to her in a basket and she off loads to an extra-large carton and often the lid will not close. She pays a dollar extra for hers because I hand pick them. If you have a farmers market you might try there and sell them. You can just send them home in a plastic grocery bag with some extra bags tossed in for cushion. That is how I took my eggs home from the open air markets in Spain. They didn't provide cartons unless you were getting them in the grocery store.

Otherwise, I have been know to do as fisherlady suggested and re-feed to the flock any extra eggs we have. Our dog would get ones that were cracked or extra but she passed away so now they go back to the birds. Cooked of course.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I've advertized the super jumbos, but no takers. :(

And I don't really want to pay for feeding hens that are laying unsaleable eggs. Heck, if I donate to the food pantry I get a tax write-off. But paying to make eggs that get fed back to chickens? Don't think so.

I haven't made up my mind what to do with them yet.

Sigh. I feel bad for them. They're laying their little hearts out, and I don't appreciate them!

5. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Consider if you feed them back to the chickens, they are cutting down on you feed bill.

6. WalkingOnSunshine

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Not that much!

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always heard that reducing protein content in the feed makes the egg insides smaller... i.e. 16% protein instead of 20% protein, check the feed label. Otherwise, I have duck egg cartons that I put the jumbos in and sell alongside regular size, for the same price of course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by