How can I maximize my bantams laying abilities?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ouwendyker, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Ouwendyker

Ouwendyker Chirping

Jun 8, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    I have bantam Rhode Island Red and bantam Wyandottes. The RIR’s lay fairly well for bantams, at one point almost an egg a day. But my wyandottes are laying quite poorly besides a trio of black who are giving me an egg a day between the two hens. Is there something I can do to get them to lay to their best ability?

Thanks

2. CuckooOrpington

CuckooOrpington Chirping

Apr 1, 2016
    Australia
    As long as they are getting enough calcium, 12 - 14 hrs of sunlight each day and at least 15% protein in their mash they should be laying at their best. Also take their age into consideration; they gradually start to lay less as they get older. Other than that there isn't much you can do to increase their laying ability. You could put a light in their pen to encourage laying but this can cause issues for the hens and they will stop laying much sooner, so I don't really recommend it.

Ouwendyker likes this.
  3. Ouwendyker

Ouwendyker Chirping

Jun 8, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    I give them layer feed, is there a certain amount they should get? I have a lot of chickens so I try to be as efficient with my feed as possible. Will free ranging help them at all?

4. CuckooOrpington

CuckooOrpington Chirping

Apr 1, 2016
    Australia
    Layer or Breeder will work as long as it isn't scratch (plain mixed grains). I've had the most success with mash or pellets but some scratch can work if it's mixed with pellets or the grains have been powdered with minerals/vitamins. You can read the back of the bag as the amount of protein/calcium etc is usually listed there. Anything stressing/scaring the birds will cause them to lay less so free ranging might help, seems as chickens prefer that over being penned.

I haven't kept Bantam RIR but I've kept Bantam Wyandottes and mine weren't very good layers either, it could just be the breed.

bantamsrmyfav and Ouwendyker like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: