How can I protect my chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LuxLuxray, Jan 31, 2015.

1. LuxLuxray

LuxLuxray Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2015
    My Adult Australorp was earlier attacked by mites and she cannot walk, but removed them asap. Now, shed being pecked by one of my Barred Rock chicken to the point where she bleeds. She's fed and given water, but she eats with the others, and she's being pecked simultaneously. She's bled on her waddle once or twice, and we've tried putting their food in different spots, but it just doesn't seem to work. We don't want to get rid of the attacked chicken, because she's our favorite one. I think the Barred rock is the problem, because we also have two little chickens who are also being pecked. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - sounds as if the barred rock is the trouble maker. Have you tried removing the barred rock from the flock for a week or so to hopefully give her an attitude adjustment?

1 person likes this.
  3. LuxLuxray

LuxLuxray Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2015
    No, we haven't. She just started pecking her just recently, so we haven't done anything- I might try that. Thanks for the advice!

4. zippy123

zippy123 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    I would agree - removing the offender for a week or so puts them on the back foot when they are reintroduced and gives the rest a bit of peace.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by