How can I stop my dog from eating "chicken treats" from the yard

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mrswolf02, Aug 11, 2013.

1. mrswolf02

mrswolf02 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Lake Placid, Florida
    Hi! My 6 year old boxer keeps eating the chicken poo my girls leave in the yard when they have outside time. They have free reign of the backyard as I do not have any runs or special fenced areas for them. How can I get her to stop??? She had a problem of eating her own poo when she was a puppy but we broke her of that. Heidi loves to play outside and plays happily by herself by pickin up pine cones or sticks so it looks like she's doin that until she spends too much time in a spot and hacks after eatin said "treats" HELP!! it's so gross!! LOL

2. What are you feeding her? She could be losing something nutrionally

3. mrswolf02

Jul 20, 2013
    Lake Placid, Florida
    she gets kibbles and bits and some homemade dog cookies i made her that has whole wheat flour and flax. we thought that when she was a puppy and ate her poo she wasnt getting something in her diet but she stopped doin it and hasnt eatten poo ( that we know of) for a long time. We've had a bad flea problem this year so maybe that has somethin to do with it? I give her Capstar once a week and bathe her frequently to get the cooties but seems in vain.

She goes where the Golden Girls have been and goes to the bucket I put the used feeder jars in while waiting to clean them to try to get "tasty" bits from it

I just didnt know if it was a dog thing to go lookin for "chicken treats" or not :/

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

My silly dogs do the same thing. I was told not to worry to much about it. My dogs also eat cat poop from the litter box! Now talk about GROSS! [​IMG] I told my vet about it, and she told me that its not uncommon for dogs to do this. Hope this helps some.

5. mrswolf02

Jul 20, 2013
    Lake Placid, Florida
    thank you! i kinda figured it was a "normal" thing to do, Heidi also likes to stick her head in the litter box as well lol. it's just so gross and i dont want her to get sick. she did good yesterday after the golden girls got put up when i let her out to potty, she didnt go lookin for a buffet....guess she's gettin tired of hearing me yell at her to stop eating chicken poop!!! im sure my neighbors are laughing LOL

6. christie22701

christie22701 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Our dog won't stop eating the cracked corn. He either vomits it up or gets diarrhea. Oh, please somebody, tell me what to do!!!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Keep the feed from the dog. I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking. If a dog eats something that makes it sick, you need to keep it from eating that. Confine the dog or confine the feed, one or the other.

Dogs eat poop, period. Chicken, cat, horse, cow, goat, whatever. That's why I never ever allow a dog to lick me.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  8. nan4848

nan4848 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    It's a dog thing. Dogs do gross things.

9. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Unfortunately, eating gross stuff is on most dog's "bucket list".Other than confining you hens to a part of the yard the dog can't get access to.. there is probably not much you can do. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by