how can i stop one of my chickens from going broody every month?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by east chicks, Mar 6, 2014.

1. east chicks

east chicks New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    arizona
    we have four hens and no roosters. one of my girls goes broody about once a month. we put her in a separate cage for three days and that seems to do the trick. then it takes her about a week or so to start laying again then before you know it she is broody again. is there something else we can do or maybe she needs to be in the cage longer.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There's really nothing you can do and you're doing the right thing. She wants to raise a family.
    One possible thing is to get her some fertile eggs, let her raise chicks and that may get it out of her system for perhaps a year.
    Some people would kill for a persistent broody.
    Is it a silkie or cochin?

The other thing, if you only want eggs, is to have non-setter breeds. There is still the individual that will be prone to set. I had a black leghorn (non broody breed) that went broody at least once a year.

Here she is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  3. east chicks

east chicks New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    arizona
    thanks for the reply. she is a RIR. maybe we can look into getting some fertile eggs because it seems like every time you turn around she is just sitting in the nest weather there are eggs in there or not. we were looking into finding some EE so maybe this is the way we have to get them.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you want new chicks, having a broody is the way to go. She does all the work and requires no electricity.

5. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    Having a broody hatch out chicks was a great experience. I recommend it. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by