1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

how can i stop racoons and opossums from coming close to my coop

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by narwhal master, Jul 25, 2013.

1. I have a small clutch of layer chickens and I really don't want to lose any to coons or opossums any Ideas how to stop them from coming to near the coop

2. would a bright light scare away some [​IMG]

3. Majd

Majd Songster

Jun 22, 2012
    The best and most affective way is to set electrical wires round the coop... that way you can make sure nothing can even think about interning the coop... and a light MAY scare them a bit but won't stand in their way in.. trust me...

4. thanks, but would I be able to save money by only running it at night to stop the nocturnal critters
    like coons?

5. Majd

Majd Songster

Jun 22, 2012
    Yeah... only from late evening till 8 in the morning

6. okay thanks I will try that

7. Majd

Majd Songster

Jun 22, 2012
    And try to make sure no stray dogs can get them during the day... keep ur eyes and ears opened. .. good luck..

8. there are dogs and stray cats but my girls are not free range and I don't think even the tiniest cat could fit through the chain link fence.

but I will keep an eye out and scare any cats or dogs i see near the coop. thanks

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging 8 Years

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Using electricity only at night will not save much money and will increase odds power will be left off when needed. Consider using a solar powered charger. Placement wires critical for system to be effective. Done properly you should be able to repel very motivated dogs as well which will be usually a daytime occurrence.

10. I never thought of using solar energy thanks I will try using it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: