how can i survive NOT ordering chicks this year??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chkinut, Jan 25, 2012.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i feel i am truly being tortured! i can only have about 8 hens because i don't live in the country. and we decided to replace them every 3 years. of course not ALL of them will be replaced since they are all pets....but after 3 years, i will have to choose 2 to keep and then we will replace the rest with new chicks. but they are all pretty young, ranging in age from 8 months to 2 years old. i know i shouldn't do this, but lately i've been going onto My Pet Chicken just to do a "pretend" order and it's killing me! i wish i could order babies every year!! even if it's only a few! what do you guys do to help get through a year or two without ordering new girls? any tips?

2. I dontbut I now what you feel like[​IMG]

3. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    You can always use a broody hen to hatch out some chicks, and then sell them. Or use an incubator
    and hatch out larger quantities to sell. After you have your "chick fix" unplug the bator. Just a thought.

4. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    That is what i do!!!

5. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Hatch your own! its much more fun than getting them from a hatchery!

Nate

6. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    that's a great idea if i can find some free fertile eggs (i don't have a roo). i have an aquaintence that has a lil' farm. maybe i can ask her...cuz i do indeed need a chick fix!! and i DO have an incubator!

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Haching is really fun once you figure out the incubator! I bought an incubator to hatch a few chicks in the spring and now I hatch 6 dozen eggs a week with my incubator! selling the chicks also helps with the feed bills also. Selling a day old chick for $2-$4 makes more than $3-$4 a dozen for eggs.

Nate

8. naturespace

naturespace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I think you should try to get away with having a couple more chickens. 10 or 11 chickens are not that much more than 8. probably the worse that could happen is you would have to re-home 2 or 3 girls. that is, if you get caught! hope not ... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  9. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    there is always a way to get hatching eggs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by