How can I take a money order with ebay?

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I have some books listed on ebay. I had a person ask me if would take a money order? I have no problem with this, but how would that work? Would I have to take the auction off, or can I mark it as payed somehow? Hope someone knows!!
big_smile.png

You cant... you can only take PayPal now as a seller. No checks, money orders or cash. Only way you can do it is to close the auction - dont let the person bid and do a private sale; therefore essentially paying for your listing for nothing and then having to give eBay a reason of "why" you canceled. Lie.... LOL - but...the buyer also has no recourse if they dont like it and if they report to eBay that you canceled an auction to do a private sale - ebay can (and will) fine you, possibly suspend you for selling off-auction site on an item you previously listed. Been known to happen
hmm.png

sorry..
hmm.png
thats why I quit selling, along with their extra high fees and changes in feedback against sellers.

Last edited:
Fraud with money orders is an issue. I wouldn't take one even if I could.

A person can so easily get a visa gift card for online transactions if they can't get a paypal account. I was a paypal only seller long before it was required.

Last edited:
According to new Ebay rules, you cannot accept any other method of payment besides Paypal for egg auctions legally. The only way to sell using a money order is to sell them privately through email/phone communication.

Just as a tip: Only accept Postal or Bank drawn Money Orders. The Postal MO you can cash at the PO and use it for shipping.

Quote:
Even Postal MO are being fraudulently forged and have been for quite some time, espeically overseas ones. Best to call your post office and bank to ensure they will not put a hold on it.

My bank and PO hold all money orders and even cashiers checks
roll.png
just for this very reason. Makes no sense to me..but... I guess to them it does. Especially any Western Union Money orders and/or wire transfers.. OMG.. dont get me started ona wire transfer LOL

My post office has some kind of scanner for the money orders that checks them. So far I haven't had any that were bad. But this is for a book, not eggs. The book in question has 1 bid already, and 9 watchers, so I think I'll pass on that. It is so easy to use paypal, I don't know why they don't do it. Why would you even try to buy something on ebay without paypal or a credit card?

Let the auction run it's course. Just don't send out your books until you receive and cash the money order. Check on e-bay policy though, I think they did away with allowing money order, too many fake ones being used. But I'm not sure about the books though. If you said you would accept mo in your ad, then I would go ahead and accept it. In your (My e-bay) it will have your listing that sold. There's an (act) button that you will click on and check the item as being shipped or mark item as paid ect. I hope this helps some. Good luck!

Some people, like my dad, are scared of identity theft and believe using a credit card to purchase things online is a huge risk.

For PayPal, just open a separate bank account for PayPal purchased, don't keep a lot of money in it, and always make sure you are purchasing from a secure site.

I'm slowly teaching my parents how to tell if a site is secure or not.

I don't know why they don't do it. Why would you even try to buy something on ebay without paypal or a credit card?

Because their credit is so bad they can't get a checking account let alone a credit card.​

Back
Top Bottom