How can I tell how old a hen is???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by karri25, Nov 5, 2007.

1. karri25

karri25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Mt friend bought me two frizzles last week b/c she knows that i have been wanting them for a long time. The guy told her that one was a roo and one was a hen. I don't think so, they both look like hens to me. They are full grown...I am afraid that they may be really old and won't lay!!!????!?!? How can I tell how old they are? I have them seperated from my other chickens for now since they look to be a little under weight. I am trying to get them all healthy and I REALLY want them to be able to lay but I am so afraid that they are old and that is why he was selling them:-( I posted this in egg laying since I want to know if they will be able to lay.

2. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Hi, maybe they are not too old. Maybe like you said,,,a little malnourished. Once you get them healthy and happy again, maybe you will get a surprise, I would not assume they are too old yet. Any chicken who goes into a new enviroment is going to take a bit to adjust. Don't rush them and give up too soon. You maybe lose a good thing. Besides,,,sounds like finally,,,they have found a good home. Show them what all they have missed and give them love , good food, clean water,,,and don't forget some fruit cocktail...lol. Mine love it! Julie

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    can you post some pictures so we can get a better sense of what the birds look like??

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Count the rings on their legs, maybe?!!! Oh, that's just trees I think...sorry!!

5. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Yes, I will go out today and try to get some pictures. But I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you can tell if a hen is old by what her vent looks like? I looked at their vents (which is really gross on girls that aren't really yours yet-you know?) but I didn't know what I was looking for so I just felt weird.

I wish you could tell by the rings on their legs. Hahaha!

Also, their toe nails look ridiculously long to me. None of my chickens have long nails. I don't know if that's from age or if they were kept in some kind of crazy cage or something????

6. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Ok, here goes on some pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to get pictures of their toes too but that just didn't work out:-(
    So the white on eis dominant and the drak one is scared to even run by. They both look like hens to me but no eggs. I am hoping that it's becuase they are just skinny. You can't really tell from the pictures because they are so fluffy but when I have held them I was shocked by how thin they were:-( I am really hoping to get them in shape but if they are older hens...sadness at no eggs. But also do you take crae of older hens differently?

7. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    They are interesting looking, that's for sure. I hope they will repay your care with some eggs!! [​IMG]

8. karri25

Feb 5, 2007
    Arkansas
    Yes, the dark one reminds me of a vulture:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by