1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how can I tell how old my chickens are

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by laymesone, Oct 8, 2015.

1. laymesone

laymesone Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2015
    I bought seven chickens from Craigslist so I could have fresh eggs. One (the black one) is laying an egg every day. One (the red one) turned out to be a rooster. The other five haven't laid any eggs. I have been feeding them mash, scratch, whole corn, and produce scraps. They live in a coop and have a fairly large run with plenty of water. They seem happy... But no eggs!! Wonder if they are too young or too old? How can I tell? I have had them for 7 weeks. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] I believe that you did OK on your purchase. Visually they appear to be young birds. The barred rock to the right will soon be laying.

3. laymesone

Oct 8, 2015
    Thanks.. I hope so. What about these two?? Young? Old?[​IMG]

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They appear to be somewhat older. Check their legs. It almost looks as if they have scaly leg mites.

5. laymesone

Oct 8, 2015
    I looked for mites, not sure, I will treat with olive oil spray just to be sure. Thanks!! I'm a newbie.. What do you mean "somewhat older"... Like past the egg laying stage? Neither of them have laid eggs yet since they have been with me, do you think I bought OLD chickens??

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It almost looks as if they may just be finishing a molt - hard to tell from pictures. They appear to be in very good condition, and the reddening combs indicate they are 'thinking' about resuming egg laying.

7. laymesone

Oct 8, 2015
    I've had them for 12 weeks... Still no eggs from them [​IMG][​IMG] I'm getting impatient.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At this point I think it's safe to say your birds probably won't lay again until spring, sorry. it's hard to tell the age of a hen once she's mature until she's quite a bit older, when they're in that 2-3 year stage they don't look much different.

9. laymesone

Oct 8, 2015
    [​IMG]
    She has been hanging out in the nesting box... Maybe??? NEXT SPRING???!!! Urgh!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  10. laymesone

Oct 8, 2015
    Is there any truth to putting a fake egg in their box to get them to start laying eggs???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by