How can I tell if a wounded bird is egg-bound or just recovering?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whitewillow, Jan 29, 2011.

1. whitewillow

whitewillow New Egg

Nov 24, 2010
    Lake Mary, FL
    My 1 year old Barred Rock hen was wounded when she fell off a fence and got her leg caught between the uprights. We found her dangling by the injured leg several hours later. Her wing is also injured where she beat it against the fence trying to right herself. The leg was torn and bleeding but did not appear to be broken. We rubbed the wound with bag balm then my mother held and petted the hen (Tiger Lilly) for about an hour before putting her outside on the patio. She is recuperating on the patio where she has access to sun, shelter, food and water - but is safe from the other hens.

Prior to the injury she was a daily layer year round. The first morning after the accident Tiger Lilly hobbled to a secluded corner of the patio and laid an egg. She has not laid another egg since then. The injury was about 5 days ago. I assumed that her body is putting all of its energy into recovering from trauma and injury. But someone said that she may be egg-bound. I do not know how to tell. This is where I need your help.

Tiger Lilly moves around the patio just enough to chase the sunlight and her leg seems to be improving slowly. She has access to fresh food and water but consumes very little of either. Her feathers are not fluffed out (as some suggest is an indication of an egg-bound hen) and she is not making excessive or unusual sounds. Just the casual clucking (when talking to us) or growling (when the dog gets too close). Her vent is very messy with white debris as if she is not cleaning herself, and her stool is as green as a duck's. I can tell nothing by her motion or posture as walking around the yard is really NOT her thing right now.

I look forward to your experience and advice.
    Thank you.

2. whitewillow

whitewillow New Egg

Nov 24, 2010
    Lake Mary, FL
    Since the first posting I have placed Tiger Lilly in a sink of warm water, cleaned her vent and palpated gently to see if I could feel any bulges or blockage. It all looked clean and I felt no "lumps". I was also surprised at how passive she was about being in the water.

At this point I feel like she is on the road to recovery with out any egg related concerns but would still appreciate some feed back by those who know more about birds.

Again, thank you!

3. whitewillow

whitewillow New Egg

Nov 24, 2010
    Lake Mary, FL
    Thank you. That is the thread I read to find out what some of the symptoms might be. It was informative but did not confirm or deny that a chicken might stop laying - without complication - while in recovery from another trauma or injury. She seems to be getting better so I will just hope for the best!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Anyone else have any advice for whitewillow? Sorry I can't help more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by