How can i tell if an egg is fertilized??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nicnac2112, Aug 26, 2013.

1. nicnac2112

nicnac2112 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    I just got two female muscovy's the other day...they are just 2 yrs old...one layed an egg today and is very protective....I know nothing ..just starting out...the owner had stated that they already had clutches....is there a way to tell by weight and air pocket if I candle it??? please any info would be more than welcomed....

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nope not at this time the only way would be to crack it open and look for the bulls eye. and Scovy's will go broody at the drop of a hat it's just their way. Make sure you post some pics and we have a Muscovy thread going to and would love for you to join us ... [​IMG]

3. nicnac2112

nicnac2112 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    thank you for the info....and when I finally finish getting everything all set up i will post some pictures...these ladies are doing awesome so far...after loosing 3 out of 4 ducklings yesterday to a dog (we just got them sat and the ladies sun from different sources) I have done away with quarantine and put the remaining duckling in with them....they are taking wonderful care of it...i am so excited....

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's great that they have responded so well to the duckling, I hope from here out you don't have any more problems and that dog doesn't show up again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by