How can i tell if baby chick is blind

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crb1487, Mar 19, 2015.

1. crb1487

crb1487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Omak, WA
    Baby won't open her eyes & I haven't seen her peck or eat & when tried to take water she fell face first into it. She is extremely wobbly bobbly like, not sure if it's becouse shes young or unsure.
    I don't know any of her 24 hr history because she was a neighbors reject so I'm starting from scratch here & afraid if I don't get her eating, she won't survive much longer. I have physically opened her eye lids but I can't tell if she's seeing me, they close right back up & they have never opened on their own for the whole 30hrs she's been out of her shell

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Hi & [​IMG] ! You might try giving her some children's Poly-vi-sol vitamins or Save-A-Chick vitamins. Do you know if she absorbed all of the yoke before hatching? You could also try giving her some scrambled egg and see if she will eat that? Hope she pulls through.

3. crb1487

crb1487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2015
    Omak, WA
    Thank you for the ideas & I will try. As far as if she'd absorbed all the yolk I'm not sure she was even ready to hatch to tell you the truth. I'm really not liking the batch she brought the neighbor of all different ages stomping all each other & the 2 i took from him look like they literally just came out of the shell. The whole situation doesn't sit right with me & wouldn't be surprised if the lady initiated the early hatching so she could make her quota.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by