How Can I Tell if Hen is Eggbound or Just A Day & An Egg Late?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickeepoo, Jan 7, 2009.

1. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    The egg count is going up and down like an EKG… out of 4 hens who usually lay 3-4 daily, I find there are more days with only 2 eggs in the nest box. The largest hen (Large Marge) has a REALLY full feeling bottom side that the others don't have- enough that it seems like 2 eggs could fit in there. Could she be backed up on eggs coming down the chute?[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hi Chickee!!!! I can tell you this: when you hold her, if she is egg bound you can feel the egg down under the breats bone and near her vent. I have a tiny 10 ounce turken that was egg bound with TWO eggs and I was scared to death for her. She wound up laying both one right after the other, but it was clear as day that they were there when I felt her.

3. chickeepoo

chickeepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you for the info, debiraymond (and I LOVE your avatar!)- I did go check her this morning, and it still feels big, heavy and mushy under her bottom (and prickly-naked for some reason? No feathers Down Under). She was on the nest for a bit, but another hen got in there while I ran an errand before I could check to see if she left an egg. She still lays an egg here and there, but this feels to me like she could have some backed up. It honestly feels like one of those weird, gushy-filled rubber toys that you squeeze and it mushes out the other side.

I can't afford expensive surgery (vet told me the last hen they did cost $200 and the hen didn't make it, either), so is there another way to check/alleviate the situation? Is it rubber glove time? I'm up for options…

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by