How can I tell if I have an immature roo or a hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommyrottie, Nov 13, 2011.

1. mommyrottie

mommyrottie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    Ok.I know. I know. It's just asking for it. Now that you've stopped laughing, I really am wondering what I have, and I'm too impatient to just wait. LOL

I was just given three chickens. Two of them definitely are hens. The third is questionable. He/it was on guard duty while the girls ate this morning and clucked loudly when my cat came close. I do know that the dominant hen can also do these things. That's why I'm asking. It looks totally different from the two girls-longer neck,more vertical black tail feathers. It is also considerably more vocal.

What do you think?

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

um... repost the picture... didn't show.

3. mommyrottie

Nov 12, 2011
    someone please help me figure out how to post a picture in the message. ggrrrr. I do have the pic on my page, if that will help.

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
  5. mommyrottie

Nov 12, 2011
    Sure, if I can figure out how

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

AH! Thats why, I see now...

You need to have over 10 posts to topics before you can post pictures.

Welcome to BYC

Once you have enough posts, just click on uploads in the blue bar up top there, and then browse, submit, then click, copy, then paste the pic link into the post.

7. mommyrottie

Nov 12, 2011
    Thanks.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I share your angst over having to wait to see whether you'll end up with a roo or not. I have four four-month old SS pullets, one of which is slightly larger with slightly different coloring. I keep going back and forth over believing she may be a he or a she.

I'm pretty sure she's a she, and mostly because by now she ought to have a much redder and larger comb than the pale one she has, which matches her sisters.

Last year I had two such suspects. One is my Black Cochin roo. He began getting a much larger comb and wattles early on. His feet were also much more heavily feathered than his Cochin sister.

The other is my Buff Brahma roo. He had noticeably larger feet and thicker, longer legs than his Brahma sisters. But it was his colorful feathers that really made him stand out as a boy. Also the two suspects were always play cock-fighting with each other.

Ultimately, my adult roo Stan made the final, decisive diagnosis. I turned loose all the youngsters who were coming of age, and Stan quickly picked out all the girls and mounted them. The two "suspects", Stan studiously ignored.

9. mommyrottie

Nov 12, 2011
    I will check out his/her feet tomorrow. The comb seems to be pretty close to the same on the one in question and one of the definite hens. The other lighter hen's comb is definitely smaller.

10. mommyrottie

Nov 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by